View Single Post
Old 01-21-19, 03:14 PM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Slime vs patch

Slime works on round small thorn punctures, and no other larger or irrigular shaped holes. If you try to patch a hole with slime in the tube, the slime will cause the patch glue to loosen and leak. I had a friend say he never had any luck with repairing a tube with glue and patch. I said "a patch works and stops the leak, all you do is follow the directions, put the glue on the tube, let the glue dry then put on the patch" he said "you let the glue dry before you put on the patch!!?" He did not follow the directions on the patch kit and thought the glue had to be wet when you put the patch on, which is wrong and why "he never had any luck with patching a leaking tube". I always carry a patch kit, tire levers, pump, and extra tube and extra pump, extra cables, multi-tool, front/rear spokes, spoke wrench when I ride. I have 9,000 miles loaded touring and 2 years as bike messenger experience. Also, patching a tube will take 15 minutes by using tire levers to remove just a foot long section of the tire bead from one side of the rim and gaining access to tube, patch the tube, (if large hole in tire also patch inside of tire) put tube and tire section back on rim. No need to remove wheel from bike, like I see riders on the side of the road who have completely removed wheel, tire and tube from bike.

Last edited by yukiinu; 01-21-19 at 03:27 PM.