View Single Post
Old 01-22-19, 12:47 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Yes, they're a normal right-hand thread. I can only speculate on the friction material choice, but I will say that my Morrow hubs with bronze shoes (that are many orders larger than modern Shimano brake shoes) stop far better in terms of overall power AND modulation.
I am thinking that softer brake shoes may provide better modulation and power. The trade off being that I would expect them to wear down faster. Interesting. Coaster brakes are normally thought of as being no, or little maintenance, so it would make scense that the modern coaster brakes have steel shoes and lack in modulation. Also, as you point out a larger diameter hub would help modulation and power as well.

All designs are a trade off. I believe that Bendix RB and newer hubs and Shimano opted for steel shoes for longer life. I know that SquidPuppent points out that the Shimano CB-110 is excellent and it is hard to refute that this is the best modern coaster brake. So, perhaps the old Morrow, that has an excellent reputation, has better modulation than a modern Shimano. And perhaps the Shimano has a longer service life.