Old 01-31-19, 10:28 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Shimano is simply doing much of what SRAM did a handful of years ago. They are enforcing their pricing in the US better than they have done in years past.
This isnt unique to Shimano or even unique to cycling.
This is true and I am surprised that more aren't aware of it. I buy a lot of parts from Chain Reaction, based out of Ireland. A couple years ago they stopped showing SRAM components, and any of those companies owned by SRAM (Rockshock, Mavc etc.) on their North American sites. The stopped showing Shimano as of 31st December 2018.

As a Canadian, I have seen this in so many other industries, automotive comes to mind. The internet helps to level the playing field, but when SRAM and Shimano can force a web based company to stop selling their product in North America, well what next?

I suspect part of the problem is that bike shops are having trouble competing with online stares as their dealer cost is higher than what a consumer can buy on line for, so they go after the manufacture to stop this.. I don't blame the bike shops here, but feel that SRAM/Shimano are to blame because they charge more in North America than the rest of the world.

I don't see a way out of this as we don't have a major competitor based in North America.