View Single Post
Old 01-31-19, 02:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by .popcycle.
"Materially different" in this case can be something as simple as the warranty. Shimano sold in the US is warranted by Shimano North America Bicycle, Inc. Shimano parts bought in the UK are not covered by a US warranty.

See warranty info above for just one material difference.
So, we've encountered people on this board with broken grey market or E-Bay stuff, and being sent back to their original vendor.

Such issues might only apply to resale items. And, somewhere in the article, it did say one could get around issues like warranty issues by applying a sticker saying the item is "grey market"...
One loophole to this system, however, is that if the importer applies a label to the product or packaging stating that “This product is not a product authorized by the United States trademark owner for importation and is physically and materially different from the authorized product,” the goods will be released for entry.
Of course, that technically only applies if the product is materially different from what is available in the USA.

A reseller could still try to capture any warranty returns back the original reseller, then deal with them however they wish.

BTW: Who owns the Shimano trademarks, patents, and copyrights? Shimano USA or Shimano Japan?

This applies less to direct overseas sales in which the buyer presumably knows who they are buying the product from. Should overseas ".COM" websites be prohibited, but allow ".UK" websites?

A non-authorized reseller could simply state that as part of their ad.
Originally Posted by .popcycle.
Ok, you don't know how to compare camera quality besides sensor size. Your cell phone is not as good as most pocket cameras for many reasons but that a topic for another discussion.
And those reasons are???

I can actually adjust a bunch of stuff from F-Stop to ISO to Shutter speed, most of which are pretty obsolete terms, but I can, for example, do night-time still shots, if I had a tripod. And, yes, my cell does have a nut for a tripod mount.

The one thing I haven't figured out is a remote trigger, although I can fake it using the timer. It appears as if there is a bluetooth trigger that should work.

I've done a lot better with close-up photos with this camera than an old Olympus camera, I think, although long ago I learned a few tricks with taking close-ups.