Old 02-14-19, 03:15 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
LOL, someone's getting defensive. Bike repair ain't rocket science, son. Most bike mechanics are minimum wage employees and no educational background is required.

As far as your specific points, a high quality truing stand runs for $40, $50 tops. A good quality torque wrench, the same. A cheap toolkit (as you put it) is more than sufficient for 95% minimum of home mechanics, probably closer to 99 or even 100%. "Quality" Allen keys, lol. Put down the JD and come to your senses.

I bought a $6 multi-tool 15 years ago at supergo and it still works perfectly.

The data is in. Bike shops are closing at a record rate. They're unnecessary. More and more people are discovering that they can save thousands of dollars by buying direct and learning some very basic wrenching along the way. No amount of typing on your part can change this reality.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sorry just had to laugh at that one. So extremely funny. All the shops in my neck of the woods like 15 of them or more are all still in business and not planning on going out of said thing.

I also laugh at just needing a cheap toolkit and some videos. Maybe for some minor repairs on cheaper bikes but there is a lot more to knowledge then a few videos even if it is Calvin Jones. Having people with knowledge from seeing and fixing hundreds if not thousands of various bikes over their lifetime and knowing a lot of tech knowledge that some of these yootoobers aren't or can't go into in a short video is invaluable. I get it people don't like to think there are experts out there who might now a lot more than they do it is hard to admit you still have a lot to learn and some people might actually know more than you. It sucks sometimes but there are people who have skills and knowledge that don't come from cheap tools and a computer screen. However if my memory serves me we already explained this to you but it might take time for it to sink in.

Torque wrenches aren't cheap (and the cheap ones aren't good) Truing stands and repair stands cost money and most cheap kits don't come with things like quality allen wrenches, JIS screwdrivers (for working on Shimano derailleurs and yes while a phillips head sort of works it is easy to strip those screws and I see it frequently from home mechanics and inexperienced wrenches) and this is not mentioning the other tools like derailleur hanger alignment gauges, press fit tools for headset and bottom brackets, and other extremely useful tools that are rather expensive and not used often but when you need them except no substitutes.

I would love to see you pull apart a Powertap hub with your $100 toolkit and put new bearings in and have the hub still function or properly build, tension, true and dish a wheel without the proper tools which generally will go above your toolkit or work on various odd standards and old parts that are hard to find tools for like old Dura Ace headsets or other oddities. How about a complete overhaul on a bike pulling everything apart and regreasing and cleaning and such in a short amount of time. Easy to do at a shop with the right knowledge and a right pain in butt to do at home with limited tools and skills and no parts washer. Yes it all can be done but what should generally be about 1-3 hours could take 1-3 days at home even if you have diligently watched all the youtubes.

I am not opposed to D.I.Y. and learning things on your own but to say shops are all closing and not needed is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. However I wish you well and please if you ever need help on your bike come on down to my shop and we will take care of you, we have plenty of tools and knowledge from many years of doing this and many different people from many different backgrounds in cycling who have picked up a thing or two that don't come in a book, a video or riding sometimes.
Originally Posted by Doug64
Where did you get your information about bike shops going out of business at a record rate? We have about 25 well established LBSs within a 50 mile radius of our small community.
I already posted the industry data. Take a look at one of my previous threads.

Last edited by radroad; 02-14-19 at 03:18 AM.