View Single Post
Old 03-31-19, 02:34 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Cielo Sportif Classic, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I did that for a while after first building up my FG conversion. It does work, but it's always nice when your hub is the same width as the dropouts, so that the wheel holds itself in place while you make adjustments and tighten the nuts.

I don't remember the 3mm axle spacers being serious cash.
I didn’t mention it because I was trying to save anyone any money. I just thought it important that for those who may not know, to clarify that you don’t have to have them. I never have an issue with the wheel moving freely, unless I want it to. Depends on how far you back the nuts off. I also use modified dropout adjustment screws as set stops. so setting my wheel back and adjusting tension is so simple, I could no joke, probably do it with my eyes closed. But that’s the difference right there. Every time I set my wheel back in, it’s not a ‘start from scratch’ scenario for chain tension. My wheel slots back in the same position, and I have the same tension, every time. I just have to remember to set my crank position beforehand. For my setup, having spacers would literally only change how far I back the nuts off.