Old 04-12-19, 02:23 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
FYI for those of you with the Trek TLR wheels on your hybrids. After 2,200 miles on the stock Bontrager AW2 tires on my Trek FSX6, it was time to go full tubeless! Perfect timing with the Trek sale going on, so I dropped about $150 on new TLR tires, TLR rim strips, and valves. I completed the conversion today and it all went very well. No leaks, no issues. I'll report back after I get some miles on the new tubeless set up. I detailed it more in this post: What did you do for your Hybrid today

If your Bontrager wheels say "TLR" you should be all set, but you will need to strip the old rim tape off and pop in the appropriate TLR rim strip, and the appropriate Presta valve. I highly recommend the Kool-Stop tire jack tool. Best $12 I've ever spent and I can't imagine how I'd have gotten these tight tubeless tires on the wheel without that tool and a fair amount of elbow grease.
Good reminder on the TrekFest sale, it ends on the 15th. I might pick up the new Bontrager R3 tires and put them on my flatbar Madone. I currently run 23c tires on them, so I will go up to 25c and see if they will fit.