View Single Post
Old 04-30-19, 04:33 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Cielo Sportif Classic, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vailskier3 View Post
I guess my question is more what are you getting when you bump from a $70 set vs $200 set vs $300+? I really would prefer to stay closer to under $200, but I also want a quality wheelset. I don't want to just get a cheap set just to be done, but I also don't want to have to save my pennies until next year to get a wheelset. I'm also not opposed to buying used, so I really just would like some recommendations if going with a used better wheelset would be better than a brand new entry level wheelset.
Better quality components. At that price range, any wheel you buy new, is undoubtedly going to be machine built. Which means the overall build quality of the wheel, not its conponenta, will likely be the same. If you’re looking to spend less than 200, simply put, you likely won’t get Avery good wheelset. The lower you go, the more likely you are to end up with issues. Hub service issues, basic qc issues with the individual parts, and you’ll probably find that they not only not offer a good ride quality, but could actually give bad ride quality. None of this is an absolute guarantee, it’s just that the cheaper you go, the more the wheel was specifically built to be, well, cheap, if you get my drift. There’s nothing wrong with wanting and affordable wheelset, but your wheels are extremely important. Not something you want to take a chance on, in my opinion. Could end up costing you way more in the long run, and not just monetarily. I, and I think most other cyclists would agree that typically anything below 200 bucks, is likely not worth it. That just my advice as a fellow cyclist, offering his time. What you decide to buy, is your choice. Makes no difference to me.