Old 05-05-19, 11:54 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
I bought a set of the AR41, mounted a Vittoria Corsa Speed tubeless on the front and a Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless on the back. No problem with either, the Hutch went on without using levers. Both sealed the bead on the first try with soap and water. First ride the front hub was making noise, a scratching sound for part of each rotation. After the ride the sound was still there, with noticeable drag on the hub when spun off the fork. The noise and drag increased when there was a load on the wheel just rolling across a smooth floor. The rear hub had a lot of freehub drag, to the point where the crank would rotate when the rear wheel was spinning on the workstand. This is unacceptable for a new set of wheels, returned to Reynolds for refund. Maybe the 41X hubs are better.
I have had that problem with Mavic wheels, the freehub acting more like a fixie! Have rebuilt that hub twice, once replacing the axle and hub body. I was told that part of the problem are some plastic spacers or bushings (??) in that hub. Ironically I have a set of Rolf Vector Pros from about 2000 that have never been rebuilt and spin as easy as they did the day that I bought them. I replaced them with some Boyd carbon 44s and like them a lot. Great wheels, modern wide profile, stable in the wind, and after some experiments with different brake pads, stop very well for carbon rims. I do not work for Boyd, just am a satisfied customer.