the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Finished nicely!

Ride it, figure out what works for you, don’t be afraid to change out what’s not.

Dirty little secret: we used to change components to improve the bike even back then.
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Beautiful bike, and job well done! I love the paint with the black contrast panels on those bikes, very sharp. The sloping fork crown and the gentle curve of the fork look great too. That bicycle just checks so many boxes for me.

I agree with what Gugie is saying, changing parts for a better ride is just smart. I have a couple bikes that I made an effort to "restore" to OEM spec. It turned out, OEM spec made the bike less enjoyable for me when I was riding them. Consequently, they get passed up in favor of less "correct" bicycles that I enjoy riding. In hindsight, I probably would have left them alone.
Indeed. I was happy to restore it as close to original as I could to begin with (mostly to see if I could), but seeing as how brakes are a pretty important part of not dying, if it turns out they don't pull their weight I'll switch them out.

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Lovely. Hope it rides as amazingly as it looks. Perhaps you can find a Zefal pump from the era.
I haven't gone hardcore searching for one yet, but I am hopeful something is out there. It's funny because the rack I got has pegs for a mini pump as well