View Single Post
Old 07-12-19, 04:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 689 Posts
New wheels, but which one?

This bike has been standing in the yard (under a cover) for the last few months so it is time to start working on it again.

I have been thinking about what I want to do with this bike for the past few weeks and I think I have a good idea.
The paint is... not great and could do with a respray. I want to go with a classic Dutch bike black powdercoat with some accents around the lugs and probably have the decals remade in black and white. We'll see if it is viable and how much that is going to cost.

Combined with stainless steel fenders, racks and handlebars this would be my short-medium distance all-weather commuter.
Cream tyres, a Sturmey Archer 90mm XL-FDD dynamo drumbrake up front with modernized (but modified) LED lighting and it should be good to go for another 30 years.

Think classic Omafiets:

You've seen the Sturmey Archer 90mm XL-RD5 (w) hub above that I want to use as a basis for this bike. Now I could reuse the stainless steel Van Schothorst rims and I do have a weak spot for them but I think something a bit lighter and more modern might be a better fit, especially since it is a 23 (?)mm rim in the rear and a 19mm rim up front.

I think they could look great with a 36H H+SON Archetype rim. Not exactly the cheapest rim and perhaps a TB14 would look more fitting on here as they mimic the current front wheel.

What do you people think?