Old 07-23-19, 08:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
How many miles is a "good ride"?
Originally Posted by ucfdad
Just starting to get into riding for fun and fitness… Somedays I can do 12 and some days I am struggling to do 8. When I tell a non cyclist I did 8 miles they are like "wow that is great". When I say I rode 8 to a cyclist, I get a much less positive reaction.

So, when first starting what should be considered a good ride? How much did you ride at the beginning?
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Perhaps 200 miles in a day?
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
16.4 miles is widely considered the standard for a good ride
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I began reading this thread, piqued by the title, with an immediate quantitative answer in mind...

I have previously posted that I consider a “ride,” worthy of suiting up, going out, and warming up to be at least 10 miles (my one-way commute is 14). I consider a “good” (long) ride, e.g. on a weekend for training, or on a tour, to be at least 40 miles.
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
My goal each ride is to go over 10. If I hid 12 or 15, I'm ecstatic !!!!
Originally Posted by Rollfast
That many.
Originally Posted by Biker395
A good ride is one you enjoy and return uninjured.
Originally Posted by freeranger
To me, one of the things that indicate that it was a "good ride", is that it left me with a smile. The smiles are just as important as the miles!
Originally Posted by Brocephus
If you're riding at all, then it is, by definition, "good" ! :thumb
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat
Cycling is living riding life with joy...
Lets continue to blast life: ride a bike, live more fully!
Continuing this sentimental track in answer to the OP question, I have posted as a year-round cycle commuter to this thread “Being Able to Bike to Work Makes People Happy”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Nonetheless, cycling is a joy, and not a chore. To paraphrase a saying* about walking:

"Now shall I walk, or shall I ride? / ‘Ride' Pleasure said; ‘Walk’ Joy replied." to

"Now shall I drive, or shall I ride? / ‘Drive' Pleasure said; ‘Ride’ Joy replied."

(*W.H. Davies, as quoted by Colin Fletcher in "The Complete Walker.":

"...Which of ye two
Will kindest be?
Pleasure laughed sweet,
But Joy kissed me
.")
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Until they get to work ....