Old 07-29-19, 03:04 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by flyerguy
I mostly just lurk around these forums but this thread was interesting from the perspective of someone who started e-biking three years ago. I see a lot of bad assumptions and misconceptions about e-biking and why people do it, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. Here in Minneapolis (which is a leader in the US for % of workforce bike commuting), I see multiple e-bikes every day during my commutes and the year-over-year change in e-bike presence has been very noticeable.

A common misconception I experience is that people assume someone on an e-bike is attempting exercise. This doesn't reflect the reality I've observed at all. I find that at least in my experience, the vast majority of e-bike riders are doing it vs. being in a car, not vs. being on an unassisted bike. Almost all of the people I know who ride e-bikes are doing it to get to work/school/errands. I do know a few people who were avid bikers and as they aged and slowed down, they added an e-bike to the mix to help them keep doing the longer rides they loved. But they are the exception; the majority I know are doing it as a car alternative. If you think of the proliferation of e-bikes as getting people out of cars rather than a transition from unassisted biking for fitness purposes, it hopefully will be seen more regularly as a positive trend.

I have an 11-mile one-way trip to work. On my unassisted bike, the ride at a reasonable commuting pace takes me about 50-55 minutes (12-13MPH). I arrive rather sweaty, so tack on another 10 minutes for the shower/change at work - unassisted biking is a bit over an hour commitment each way. Because of the time required, my schedule only allows for this about 1 day a week. The other 4 days, I drove. After a couple of years of this, I was frustrated that I couldn't bike more, and drive times crept up over 30 minutes on more mornings. That's when I started seriously looking at an e-bike. The e-bike gets the time down to 37-40 minutes, and no shower required on any but the hottest of days. Plus, it's doable even if I'm not feeling 100% or I have to lug a lot of stuff to work one day because I can tailor the assist. With it being only a few minutes more than the car ride, I found myself gravitating to the biking option a lot more. I now bike an average of 3 days a week and use the car only 2 days a week.

I don't think of my e-bike as a fitness device, it's a transportation device. I'm out of the car a lot more, which is good for my stress level, my wallet, and the environment - and yes, I get a mild fitness benefit vs. sitting in a car (I estimate that I am putting in 1/4 to 1/3 of the total work). I still ride my unassisted bike for exercise and leisure purposes, sometimes for commutes if I have the time and lots on the weekend or when riding with others if they're not e-enabled. :-) I find this to be a very typical story/pattern.

I honeslty don't encounter too many e-bike naysayers out on the trails (maybe Minneapolis is just more enlightened ;-) but on the rare occasion I do they generally respond better once I explain the alternative is not an unassisted bike but another car on the road. I feel the false dichotomy of unassisted bike vs. e-bike is damaging to the cycling community. There's room and purpose for both forms of bicycle, and I doubt very much that e-bikes are just a passing fad. As a car alternative (and yes also as an enabler of letting more people enjoy cycling as a hobby longer) they make a ton of sense.
I have thought for a while that a lot of the city bike shares would have done better (and there would have been less room for the scooters to slip in and litter our sidewalks), if the bikes had been pedal assist e-bikes. Not throttled things, but that maybe double whatever effort you put in up to a top speed of some sort.