Thread: Addiction LXXV
View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 03:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22759 Post(s)
Liked 9,152 Times in 4,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Vet tech for 17 years. $800 for a teeth cleaning, even including pre-op blood work, is ridiculous unless they are also including possible multiple teeth removal in the estimate.
- However, I know we're in different cost-of-living areas- though her annual check-up bill is about what I used to bill clients in private practice and what I pay now as a pet owner. So just to give you some idea, a basic cleaning with no tooth removal (which it doesn't read from your description as though this would be necessary) around here would run around $200.

- Something you might want to check on is if there are any special deals coming up- quite a few clinics run dental specials once a year, usually in February (National Pet Dental Month).

-There are some commercially available treats and special brushes/toothpastes but a.) I've never seen anyone have any particular success, b.) they won't have any effect on the tartar that is already present, just slow the progression of further build-up- the plaque build-up already visible on the teeth would have to be professionally removed, and c.) often the treats that are marketed to pet owners can cause digestive upset.

Honestly, if she's a healthy adult cat with no other issues I wouldn't be concerned. If you should notice her having difficulty chewing (spitting out half-chewed kibble and/or favoring one side or the other), that would be a sign that something would absolutely need to be done. Getting the work done sometime in the future (meaning more likely than not years rather than months), or as an add-on during some other procedure that would require intubation, sounds 100% reasonable.
Thanks! Very helpful.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Road trip @datlas
I would consider it. The Saturn can handle it. But I don't think Jackie can.