Old 08-01-19, 10:50 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
The pricing on most of his components is just terrible.

If you think about it, a lot of time went into actually putting together that article. I have been reading this forum, other forums, watching tons of videos on youtube of folks I respect now on bicycle stuff, and when you get as drenched in it as I did, you can pick up a pretty good feel for what the true bang for your buck on parts are out there. Enough of you spoke about these things over time that you actually can pick up a Zeitgeist from it all, and there is some pretty common themes out there along the lines of parts. You folks all know that now too. I actually had majority of the same list of parts by the time I stumbled on his article from reading all of your experiences and comments on it over time. Of course it wasn't exact, and we have some touch point differences, and I wouldn't have had a clue about wheels or tires until I read his article. For the most part, it's actually a really sound bike, build, and advice.

He helped me finalize the 10 x 3 setup which I was leaning towards, but wasn't experienced or knowledgeable enough to know if that is what I wanted, and after hearing someone that has been around the world suggest it, it only helped me solidify my thoughts on the subject and feel comfortable about it moving forward. I actually wish I had one more higher gear when descending mountains, but that is unloaded, so I am sure fully loaded, it will be just fine. I won't be peddling my behind off fully weighted down hill in Colorado mountains, or any mountains for that part so it will do. But I do wish I had more meat in that last gear while peddling instead of being at such a high cadence and nowhere else to go.

As for the pricing, of course to an audience like this it is a bit of a joke, and I am sure even Alee knows that. There are probably a few reasons for this, I am totally guessing though. 1) He get's a tiny commission out of it on his own Amazon affiliate stuff. I don't know what that works out to exactly, and don't care enough to look, but I am sure it's pennies on the dollar if it's anything as bad as the nonprofit side when you do affiliate stuff and see that check come in after a while. It's peanuts unless you are selling tons of stuff, and I doubt that many folks are building Surly Ogre's like that where he is actually really making much at all.

2) For ease and consistency of the links staying valid for a while, it's all centralized, and if I was writing that article, it was probably the last thing done to get it finished, and it was just easy. That article probably took some time, as well as the rest of his work from what I can see. I think he is one of the better teachers in the industry, for consumer education in this arena, and just the type of topics he covers in general. Often, nobody else is covering some of the stuff he is, and to be honest, some of it is important to some folks and makes it easier. Not to mention how much educational value in general that is really there. He goes more in depth than most folks on stuff and truly educates. Super kudos for that! There are hardly many folks out there in general that really do that in any industry, and when you see it, it should be recognized and stand out. I think his stuff is top notch to be honest.

3) Folks like you and me are not going to follow his links, and he know's that too. He will however get overflow from folks that actually don't care about costs, just want to get it done, simplicity of it, and seriously just don't care about money. There are a lot of high end bike shops that work exactly off this principle and cater to just that type of audience. So if he makes a few bucks off affiliate links off those folks, I could care less to be honest. If I had it and didn't care, and my time was valuable but wanted to do a side project for a hobby or something to brake life tension, it would be super easy to follow and do. The next level of websites and future will be a lot like he has, but probably the actual install video links right next to each component as more and more folks get competitive and try to stay cutting edge in not just technology, but social media management too long term.

The folks like you and I are going to do what you and I do. The only thing I pretty much ordered off Amazon were the last $200 of parts, that are not on his page anyway, because I have prime at the moment, and they aren't going to really be beat anywhere else...stupid stuff like the 180mm brake adapters and little odds and ends. I literally bought everything else for the entire bike from other places. Between Ebay and Google "shopping" tab, and being a bit more resourceful when needed, you can do it for significantly less. E-bay is getting super competitive with Amazon now and even starting to find much faster shipping times on a lot of items there too. I have been having pretty good experiences with Ebay to date.

Even the wheelset he suggests can be found online for $100 bucks less from places like Wheel Builder Pro. My contact points on the bike are different from his build, and I don't think I am doing the wheel build he suggests at the moment. I am actually struggling with that one and thinking I might pick up an entry level wheel build like this one, and do the wheel build he is talking about over the winter once I have time on the bike touring and know it's my size and "the" bike for me long term. I am struggling about what to do about committing to a $600+ wheel build when I am not 100% sure if I will be on an Orge long term yet. And if I don't stay with the Ogre, then I might go down to a 27.5" or 26", and at that point, I don't want to be a couple of months into a $600+ wheel set to not be able to take them to another bike with me and then have to start all over again. I also don't have the entire Thru Axle or QR wheelset worked out in my mind yet either. Do I build a TA now and use QR end caps so I have the best of both worlds kind of stuff. Not knowing for sure though is not cost effective for me at all so I am not sure what to do. In many ways, I just want the final build done now though so it's done done. At the same time, I really don't want to live without a Dynmao Hub right now (at all), and if I am going to put a Dynamo hub in something, then I might as well spend the money doing the wheel build correct now, but then I am committing to this bike for a while without truly knowing if this is "the" touring bike for me or not yet. Six in one, half a dozen in the other, and my biggest challenge right now. But obviously outside the scope of the conversation.

But that was the long of, "yes you are correct. Extremely high priced that way."

Even the Ogre frame I got for $100 cheaper than what he said. Which BTW, this store just popped up on my radar, I bought my frame through them, and then I started playing with their "price matching" which is built into their website. You put the link into the site of where it is lowered priced, it scans it automatically, and if you are correct, it instantly price matches it. But it also instantly price matches everything to Amazon. So if Amazon price is lower then their prices, it automatically changes it in your shopping cart for you. So theoretically, they just about price match everything. I haven't found another site like this and I am familiar with most of the ones you all mention. As long as it's a major U.S. retailer or bike retailer kind of thing, they match. I would rather use them and have one central place to order from if they keep that kind of philosophy and technology going. If the site doesn't price match right away, it will shoot them a note and they will get back to you. But so far they have just about matched everything I have thrown at them that I can think about. Ordering some of the last couple of things I need now like a Surly front rack since they are price matching anyway. They gave me such a good deal on the frame that I don't mind giving them some more business if I can. I also got the frame a day earlier than I was expecting so they are on the ball with shipping. I don't spam or mention things, but I honestly think it's a good resource and tool for pricing and getting stuff so I am mentioning it for anyone that doesn't know about them. I never heard of them until I started this build. https://www.treefortbikes.com/ If it helps anyone else. I ordered a good portion of the stuff from them, the rest E-bay, believe it or not, I am seeing more competitive prices from Walmart online but private sellers through their infrastructure and once in a while you can pick up a pretty sick deal, and then the small stuff on Amazon which I don't think none of it was on his page.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-02-19 at 12:16 AM.
Likes For Bike Jedi: