Old 08-03-19, 12:21 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeStore
Hi all, Mike from The Bike Store here in Mt Shasta, CA. I am working with the local ski/bike park to hold a retro kamikaze style race along with a vintage Mt Bike Show.

The race we have covered, but neither myself or the Mt Shasta Ski Park's staff have ever hosted a bike show before. If anyone out there has experience in running or attending such a show and you are willing to give me a few pointers, that would be super awesome!

In particular a few questions.

1) What vintage Mt Bike Classes would be customary? Thinking to start small with, in all classes the bike must be at least 20 years old. Classes: vintage rigid, vintage single speed, vintage suspension, modified all, and best of show

2) Is there typically an entry fee to show your bike and if so, are there cash prize payouts?

3) How many bikes have you ever seen at such a show?

Any feedback is most appreciated.

Thanks for your time and enjoy the ride,

-Mike
Hi Mike, I would not get to hung up on classes or any fees/prizes. For MTB I would not start at 20 yrs old, one could argue they have only been around for 40 and lots of them have not survived. Maybe 10 to 15 years old but you really want to include as much as you can. We had several good shows at Velo Cult with no classes or prizes. Shows now days seem pretty fickle, some are long running and keep going, many have gone away. You may be in the right place for MTB but I would be surprised if it draws a big gathering, hope I'm wrong and it takes off, we need more as time is not on our side and things are being forgotten and abandoned. We have a strong following here but we are scattered all over the place so no big group in one place for something like this while a few that are close to you may come.

As an aside, if I was closer you might see me with this.