TCR
Riding Heavens Highway

Bikes: '04 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I don't mean racing at a pro level. Just racing and hoping to finish at a better position than last. I don't mind not being in the top 3. But I definitely want to be fit enough to finish before last.

Is 30km/h - 18mph a good average speed? What distance are usual races?
First, you can't compare an 18mph avg speed on a solo ride to actual race avg speeds. They're two completely different animals. I'll go out all the time for a solo ride, do 20 to 40 miles, and end up with an 18mph avg. I guess that's pretty good but it's not racing. Average speeds in a race can go way up because you'll be in a pack getting sucked along most of the time.

I just did a CAT4, .9 mile, four corner course with a very slight rise on part of the course. It was supposed to be a 40 minute crit but ended up closer to 32 - we averaged an even 25.0mph at the end. Nobody was able to break away and stay away. If you can smoothly go around a corner at 25mph while in a pack and be able to cover a few surges here and there then there's no problem surviving on this course. Now a circuit race with a hill or a road race with several hills are completely different stories.

Your best bet is to get out there and ride with groups (local bike club) to get used to group riding, drafting, pacelines, etc. Then find a training ride with some CAT3 & 4's and ride with them. If you can hang with them for 20 to 30 miles you're definetly ready to tackle CAT 5's.

Last edited by TCR; 01-30-06 at 09:29 AM.