Old 09-20-19, 05:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Pedestrians in motion walk slow enough that you can anticipate their movements and thus avoid them.
False, pedestrian do stupid stuff all the time. Then come up with some wacky logic to why they did what they did. I've had them walk right into me (without so much as a grunt apology) hypnotized by their cell phones. I've had people cross the street walking south while I'm waking north and run into me -- and I was the only one on the entire block. If I need to read something carefully, I stop, especially in a crowd of people.
If they are stationary, you can count on them starting to walk soon, so just assume that they will step out on you and plan accordingly. Don't assume that they see you even if they are looking your way. Also, resist the urge to buzz them because it really does not "teach them a lesson" and could result in something that would ruin your day.
And what is the rate for pedestrian babysitting? If he's an adult and they're an adult then they have as much responsibility to watch out for him as he does to watch out for them.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm guessing you have never had one step out from in front of a van mid-block. Or maybe you have powers of anticipation I was not gifted with.
He's making an irrational comment. People (pedestrians) do stupid things all the time. Here's a scenario that shows this fact. A pedestrian is crossing the street as I'm approaching. If you track their movement forward they would be well out of the way by the time I arrive at their intersect point.

Instead of continuing forward, they (apparently panic like a deer caught in the headlights) and either start shifting back and forth, move backwards, or just stop. I now have to come to a complete stop and wait for their thinking to keep from having a collision.

All they had to do was keep their original walking pace and they would have been on the sidewalk (well out of the path) by the time I got to that point.

BTW, I've noticed that some people seem to have a mental block so that they can't think and walk at the same time. I'm guessing this is where that "walking and chew gum", phrase comes from?

Anyway, even a dog can gauge your approach and cross your path without issue. Now a cat, they will wait and get under your feet. 🐱

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-22-19 at 05:02 AM. Reason: clarify sentence
Likes For KraneXL: