Old 11-07-19, 09:34 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
Ive had it for a few weeks now and really love it. I was worried at first about ordering from a small company but they are awesome to work with and the bike has been great so far.
Regarding AXS: Yes, I quickly learned that it will throw the chain if you set it up like SRAM instructs in their manuals. I swapped larger chainrings when I got it and found out the hard way that you have to adjust the high limit on the front so that there is absolutely no gap or else it will yeet the chain. The Fezzari mechanic who set up the bike must have known this because I remember thinking he made a mistake at first when I got the bike and noticed the chain was rubbing slightly while in the highest gear. The drivetrain is also louder than Shimano stuff that I’m used to. It’s not bad or annoying per se, but it is noticeably louder.

The bike has been flawless. It’s stiff, fast and stable. It is not a hyper slammed race bike nor is it a lounge chair. I’m in my mid 30’s and I consider myself really in shape (I’m consistently in the top 5 percent of Active Duty Marines) and I feel the bike is a really good balance between fast and comfortable.
Sounds like a great bike! One thing confused me though. It seems like the SL only comes with SRAM builds. If so, why did Fezzari think BB86 was a good idea? This means fitting a 29mm spindle into a 41mm shell with a sleeve. 30mm spindles typically use 46mm shells with a sleeve so we’re losing about 4mm of space and probably having to use specialty bearings.

I’ll be curious to hear from you in the future if you have premature bearing wear or creaking.