View Single Post
Old 11-11-19, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You attack people on rides with your power meter? That's a problem.

Cute made-up quote. Care to actually quote someone saying something remotely like that?

Hate to break it to you, but it's definitely possible to ride very fast without wearing lycra and attacking people with power meters. The "real cyclist" snobbery seems to run from people who insist other people need that gear, not the other way around.
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't understand why so many people are so annoyed by cyclists who want to get a workout in and go fast. Middle-aged cyclists like me who wear lycra, use a power meter and attack each other on rides are usually portrayed as pathetic and pretentious dorks trying to assert their dominance in the most eye-rolling way possible. The thought that maybe going fast is fun to some people, maybe getting in a tough workout is what some people are looking for and maybe it has nothing to do with the observer doesn't seem to occur to these people. No one seems to make similar comments about runners who like to go fast or people who take tennis seriously, only cyclists are singled out in this manner. It all fits in with the "entitled scofflaw cyclists in dorky lycra" stereotype that many drivers love to cite. I also see it all the time on this forum: "this ******* in lycra had the temerity to pass me on the road today! What a jerk! He's not a real cyclist!".
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Where did I imply that you need to wear lycra to be a "real cyclist"? Do you realize that you are proving my point?
I didn't say you did, only that people who accuse other people of not being real cyclists are a whole hell of a lot more likely to be wearing lycra, making absurd claims about it's necessity to ride fast. I said that your post equated wearing lycra and using a power meter with going fast. If you didn't mean to do that, I suggest you review the quality of your writing.

So, according to you, I proved your point by saying something I didn't say? Good one!