Old 11-18-19, 10:51 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
Experiment; Change; Thanks

I appreciate the input. Bottom line, a bright helmet light isn't much of a tool.

The main change to my behavior is that I’m now carrying my wallet and cellphone on my person instead of in my pannier. It is a bit less convenient but if I walk/run away I have my most important resources; everything else is relatively easy to replace.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I ride with a helmet light and in the past rode through some of the lower income, high pedestrian areas of Atlanta. The light effectively stops the (potential) interview phase of criminal interactions. Someone approaching with (potentially) ill intent will usually stop and start talking/gesticulating where they are once I shine the light in their face.
I like the phrase "interview" and it aligns with a lot of the other comments. In fact, the entire discussion reminds me of what I learned from a book "Alaska Bear Tales”. Basically..

1. Do not get near the bear in the first place.

2. If 1 fails, make yourself look as big as possible.

3. If 2 fails (now at close range) punch the bear in the schnoz as hard as possible.

4. If 3 fails play dead (often this is very easy to do)…

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
… In all seriousness really bright LED lights make a good defensive weapon. Get one that has a strobe feature that you can quickly turn onto strobe. If you are rushing towards someone it is very disorienting to have a bright strobe light in your face….
So in the spirit of experimentation I got my daughter to wear my helmet light so I could see the other side of the story. Test was done with no ambient light.

Results:

a) When the bike was between me and the helmet light I could still clearly see the various marker and corner lights I have on the bike, which I need for my (much more probable event) motor vehicle defenses. Helmet light didn’t really distract me and I could avoid the bike and still reach her.

b) When it was just her in the dark, I could see nothing but the light. However, I could charge toward the light..

c) We tried flashing (Cygolite Metro 650) mode and it is very disconcerting. This is the only thing I thought had a chance of helping me fail the interview phase of an encounter. (The flashing mode is complete on/off on about 1/2 second cycle.)

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
…. If it's a gun...you're right. The bike isn't worth it. Throw the bike one direction and run the other way. No one is going to chase you when what they wanted it sitting on the ground ready to be taken. It might hurt your pride, but there is nothing wrong with a tactical retreat so you can live to fight another day…
So maybe a light is a bit of a distraction, but not significant. This thought is what has led me to keep my wallet and cellphone on my person instead of in my pannier.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Last edited by flangehead; 11-19-19 at 07:29 AM. Reason: hmtl and clarify flashing/strobe