View Single Post
Old 12-03-19, 06:37 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
dddd I can't square the photo in post 1 where the system appears to have a pivot at the front of the shock, the seatstay strut's pivots keeps everything in a straight line, and there's only compression through the shock, which seems normal, and you could make it work just by turning the aft eye of the shock vertical because it's really just a longer analogue of the Ibis yoke I mentioned... to the one in post 17 where the top of the shock is in a socket and it has to take some bending, which seems terrible. (though considering that's what a telescoping fork does all day, maybe not that terrible, but prevents using a regular shock)
That photo is apparently misleading you, since the shorter-travel Attack model anchors the shock solidly at it's top end, with it's pivot at the bottom of the shock!
This follows their much older designs that had perhaps even less travel than the Attack.
Either approach allows enough pivoting to prevent undue bending loads from feeding into the seal/bushing area in the shock, but this design does still handle loads caused by twisting or lateral flexing of the swingarm, so ProFlex (strut-style) bikes really need a bit larger shaft diameters than most other bikes do. I consulted with Dan White of White Brothers, and at the time in late 1995 he wanted to use my new 1996 model 856 bike to research a new shock design for the bike, which he said would have to have a larger 10mm shaft. He didn't say that my loan would net me a new shock, so I declined to hand the bike over as the racing series was still going on. We rode together and compared his new Y-bike to my 856 on one occasion, but our different skill sets made for difficult conclusions. Both designs pretty much died out long ago!