1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
TI vs. Gilco

Not apples to apples but my 2 cents

I've had 2 "Gilco" type bikes, a C-era Daccordi, with Oria tubing, which rode like a dream, transferring power, but not rattling my teeth on NJ roads (using record/mavic/tubie wheels). Very nice ascender/ stable descender for old 165# guy. Sold in the fall, and miss it. Also stunning appearance (if that matters).

New fall purchase Rossin Ghibli. Rossin crimped his own tubes- these are SLX. I rode it a bit before dissasembling. Sweetly responsive, very happy so far, but not enough miles,though Ghibli owners seem "pleased" with them... I don't ride my Ti much in comparison, but partly 'cause it's a TT set-up.

Outlast? Steel seems to be hanging on pretty well, absent rust/crash issues. BTW with steel, most crash issues can be satisfactorily resolved, from a riding perspective, than ti, anyway.

PS- lest anyone say "Ah, but Colnago" I have an uncrimped early 80's "Mexico" and a 73 Super. I gotta say the Daccordi felt more zoom-zoom to me. Not an ounce of data to support this, except that the Daccordi was red.
Cheers, Eric

Originally Posted by joesch
I love the Colnago bikes and really enjoy riding my Super and C40/50 models.

Looking to either add a Master, either the Gilco or Titanio tubed model and pretty sure both would be awesome rides.

How do these rides compares:

Colnago Master Columbus Gilco Tubing

Colnago Titanio Columbus Titanium Tubing

As far as comparing the Super and C40/50 models, the newer models are improved as expected with lighter and stiffer performance.

I also have campy record components on all the above models and the shifting is improved on each newer model, lighter and quicker.

I do really love TI tubing especially since it will outlast steel and carbon given accident avoidance.

Not really lots of info on the Gilco tubing, but those models have won many world championships over a decade so must be great.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 12-18-19 at 10:41 AM.