View Single Post
Old 12-18-19, 02:05 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Darkest week of the year. I have previously posted about partitioning the Winter to endure:
I rarely post here anymore but I still get notified when I'm quoted, - even if the post was from several years ago.

Regardless, this time of year, the short days are definitely on my mind during my bike commutes. And I still approach Winter in the same way. I think of it in distinct chunks.

December with the Holidays, goes fast
January can be a slog
February evening commutes start to get bright again about mid-month, even if the weather doesn't change. That's huge.

This year more than in the past I've been aware that I'm not going to be doing this forever. I've entered my last decade of regular bike commutes. The office is negotiating a 10 year lease with the building which means there's a good chance my commute won't change much before I retire. That's a good thing. I can work from home more often now. A few years ago I might try and cycle through a big snowstorm. Not so much anymore. A couple of fresh inches is fine. Beyond that I'm staying home or walking to the train. Still bike in extreme cold. Would rather do that than walk to the train.

Funny, I just noticed my avatar is from a triathlon I did over a decade ago. Time flies ! Still have that bike and still commute with it now and then.
Likes For tjspiel: