View Single Post
Old 12-18-19, 07:20 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
So, curious now, what was the story behind the shell? I don't see any shots showing that spot. Was the shell actually cracked?

Looks like the typical hold in the underside of the chainstay bridge got painted over. Not sure it matters, just happened to see it.

EDIT: Frame is gorgeous!
Man this has been a busy day.

Yes, the BB was cracked between the downtube and the seat tube. Jack says it happened from incomplete braze penetration at the downtube and BB lug. That allowed the BB to move and it eventually cracked. He had a time finding an Italian thread BB with the right size chainstay holes, apparently chainstays are larger diameter now.

He also replaced the right chainstay, removed the rear brake cable guides on the TT and installed cable stops. He set the rear to 130mm, chromed the chainstays, rear dropouts, fork crown & dropouts. Once all that was done, he aligned, prepped, painted, decaled and clear coated it.

I probably won't get on building it up until after Christmas but it'll go quick after that. Should I leave the painted over weep hole as is or try and open it up?

Last edited by nomadmax; 12-19-19 at 03:25 AM.
Likes For nomadmax: