Old 12-23-19, 11:09 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
What I think happened, is the cyclist headed for the left lane just where it widens to 2 lanes, after the little bridge overpass. This is at the west end of the park.
He must have slipped cutting across in front of the bus following maybe 40 or 50 feet behind when he made his move. Likely preparing for a LH turn at the light.
Originally Posted by vol
Not clear whether he hit the ice or the curb:
https://abc7ny.com/cyclist-dead-run-...verse/5765696/
https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/cyclis...tural-history/
The irony is he was a pediatrician run over by a school bus carrying 14 children who could have been his patients, and was rushed to the hospital where he worked.
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Icy shoulder, narrow passage. That's a "Take the Lane" situation in my book. I'd probably hold it all the way through the park.
Originally Posted by noglider
If taking the lane isn't safe for you, don't do it, but I do it all the time in NYC and, as I said, on these very transverse roads. I watch drivers behind me and get a sense when they are outraged. When they are, I move aside. It wasn't that cold on Thursday. I can believe there were small patches of ice, but if there was one, it came without warning.
vol's quote from the Post explains it: probably he was taking the lane. He entered the Transverse Rd at 96th street from CPW (maybe at the red light to get some odds against the traffic coming from the back), and he was going as fast as possible to avoid holding back the traffic behind him. The east and west bound lanes merge near the bridge that carries the West Dr. across the Transverse, and that is where the east bound lane curves. If he hit a patch of ice that came without warning at that curve, he would be thrown into the left west bound lane. The bus was keeping left preparing for the left turn, which is consistent with it going to the Museum of the Natural History. Then he was ran over by the left front wheel of the bus. There was nothing the bus driver could do.
Originally Posted by noglider
Advocates here in the city are saying we need to remediate these transverse roads or have some other way to cross the park. It's two and a half miles long, south to north, so we are not going around it.
Or at least allow two way traffic in the East/West Dr. from 96th to the 102nd/104th. This would make a small detour compared to going down to the 72nd. The other transverse roads would need a different solution.