Old 12-29-19, 04:03 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Having logged some more time with the Varia, I'd disagree. A camera is great after the fact, but a Varia is proactive.

I find myself riding further in to the street, which is helpful in a few ways. First, it's smoother and there's usually less debris. Beyond that, visibility to motorists approaching from behind is better. Third, I really do think that seeing me move over upon their approach elicits a different response from drivers - they're aware that I'm aware of them and that I'm making an effort at accommodation. Then there's the changing flash pattern as they approach - again, it's something that indicates a dynamic situation.

I don't know how much to attribute to any one factor, but the end result is that I see much more generous passes and buzzings have been reduced dramatically.
All those things you listed are great, and maybe more useful when riding solo. I do the same thing, except I see the traffic behind with my mirror. Do I feel that the my mirror gives me a sense of security? Of course, for those same reasons. But having been hit once from behind, and with a mirror, I can tell you that there isn't a whole lot you can do to avoid the situation. I'd expect cars to move over to the left to pass me. They always do, until they don't, and then it's too late to react. Some move over earlier. Some later. Sure, you can bail out last minute with the ones that move over late, but I assure you that's no way to ride. Neither a mirror nor radar is going to help you. That's why I say even if it's a false sense.

That said, I find a mirror helps in other ways, like with left turns, singling up when there's a car back, watching for cars with right turn signals to avoid right hooks, etc. But this thread is about radar and camera, so I won't dwell on it.