Old 01-02-20, 07:31 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I expect the unusual way you measure riding time and average speed accounts for some of your confusion.
I guess the way I consider "ride time" is the time I jump on the bike at the start all the way to the time I get off the bike at the end, over the course of 1 day.

In that example "ride time" is accounting for every second between those two points in time - whether I am in the saddle pedaling or not.

Is there a more usual or customary definition of "ride time" that goes in to everyone's numbers?

I guess that goes back to my first post in the thread and my explanation of the "average" I came up with being, perhaps, "bogus". The reason I call it "bogus" is there are variables in the creation of the time metric in the "average" that invalidate the accuracy of it. All of the "time" (according to how I defined it here - from the time I start a ride to the time I end a ride, no pausing) was not accounted for in my 7mph or so average. I don't think the time not in there, over the course of the calendar year, would shift the average that much, but it would drop. The time commitment, or maybe I should restate that to "time consumption", to "riding" means every slow down on a ride is accounted for. If you have 15 minutes down on a loaded trip to repair a flat that is 15 minutes you don't get back. That is where I wanted to see others' numbers that hit high miles. I still question the time in those high mile reports - what variables are they, and are they not, taking in to account for? If auto-pause is being used - what percentage higher time are those riders actually seeing? (those questions don't need answers, that is just what is in my mind as I compare all the numbers in the thread)

Originally Posted by canklecat
Putting in thousands of miles a year is a huge time sink, no way around that.
Yep. Quantifying it and comparing it is interesting.