Old 01-02-20, 08:51 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgalcruising
I too have crowdfunded. I don't think I've done it as many times as you have, but I've always had success. My first time was for a tent I hoped to use during the upcoming summer, and indeed it was months late and I did not put it to use until a year later. Lesson learned.Thereafter, I never funded anything I ever considered to be on a deadline. In addition, this would be the first truly expensive item I have ever consider taking a chance on. The Capri bike interested me, as it is lighter than most e-bikes and the rider can easily sit upright - two important feathers for me. I am grateful for all the warnings and will continue to look locally for something else.
The Helix bike was 4 years from funding and still not fully delivered. Otoh, Bike Friday has crowdfunded 2 bikes and all were delivered on time - the difference being an established reputable company versus a start up with no track record. I funded an e-bike wheel and was lucky to get 70% of my money back as many people lost everything (some up to 2 grand). So my rule of thumb now is nothing over a hundred dollars unless it's a company with a track record of delivery. Getting half off a bike you never receive is not a good deal. Furthermore, most e bikes have proprietary batteries or other parts and many crowdfunding companies fail to survive a year so then you're SOL. Stick with something reputable for such a big purchase. You'll be glad you did.