Old 01-13-20, 10:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

The road belongs to everyone... Not my favourite context, but if you have to do it, and you are comfortable, do it! Also, I would not ride on the opposite way.

Unless specified that it is strictly reserved to motorized vehicles (such as highways), you can ride whatever road you feel comfortable being on. Just stay as close to the shoulder as possible, and cars will just get around you even if it means that they'll have to step on the double yellow lines.