Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup, those'd be posts. Unfortunately, it limits you to post-mount calipers (if you have a flat-mount frame, you can use either flat-mount calipers or adapted post-mounts) and Shimano seems to have chosen flat-mount as their default caliper style (all of the current hydro groups are flat).

You can still go Shimano by buying levers and calipers separately, but the pricing might not be as attractive.
My next roadie will be hydro disc, primarily so that I know how to work on AG's SystemSix and can swap wheels with it if needed (as has come up in the past once or twice). However, I'm quite happy I didn't jump a year ago, because these things were still being hashed out, and I want to see if we have stabilized on a technology set or if we will be endlessly changing mount "standards" and everything else involved.

Back then, many bikes I saw had mixed flat/ post between front and rear, and the front axles were 15x100 instead of 12x100.

Or maybe we'll just change everything every year and nothing will be compatible again.