WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
On the “tardiness” thing: is there a legit reason for the everyone to be in the building at 8am sharp? Like there’s a meeting or clients to be seen at 8am?

An engineer punches a clock? Is he paid an hourly wage as opposed to a salary?

I’m all for people being on time if there’s a specific good reason.

Otherwise, he’s a professional which means the ethic is he gets his work done in advance of whatever deadlines he has, in a manner which keeps the business humming. If he needs to work until midnight to get things done, that’s what he does. If he gets in 5 minutes late, who cares?

Perhaps I’m am talking from the position of someone who is in a 0% unemployment field but if I was getting my work done and was chronically 5 min late and the boss wanted to fire me over that, I’d probably already be gone before he had a chance to fire me.

But I haven’t worked an hourly wage since I was a young adult so I don’t really get that concept.

PS I am a total Nazi about seeing my appointments on time though. If one of my patients goes into an exam room late, everyone who works for me knows that my first question will be Why did this appointment get into an exam room late? So it’s not that I don’t care about being on time, it’s that I only card when it matters to the $ bottom line or to the client’s experience.
No reason. We very occasionally have clients visit, usually in groups, and my people are not typically tasked with anything in regards to entertaining or talking to them. And yes, we all clock in for some unknown reason. The majority of the group, including myself, is salary. There is an extreme cognitive dissonance on this one for myself but this is also one of those small battles I decided wasn't worth the fight. When I first got here, we didn't have a clock in system as they were "in-between" companies they were using. When we finally did get one, I used it, but then it wasn't working so they stopped using it. Then they got yet another and I decided to basically ignore it. I was eventually told to not ignore it.

A lot of this comes down to it being a small company and as a result it has its quirks. I have had good luck overall here in terms of resume building and upwards mobility, so I put up with some things that I don't think I would at a bigger company. I might need to consider moving on.