View Single Post
Old 02-27-20, 10:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My worries for my own cause of death are as follows:
1: heart defect, inherited
2. A genetic disposition toward prostate cancer
3. heart disease from being fed artificial saturated fat through my childhood and into early adulthood and/or type 2 diabetes from eating "low fat" products with increased sugar because everyone believed that was healthier than butter
4. cancer from breathing diesel soot and eating out of plastic containers all my life.
5. traumatic misadventure

On the other hand, this researcher in her study merely poisoned some microbes with vanadium, and they recovered. Vanadium is present in only trace amounts in any of the components or materials under discussion - soot is mostly carbon. But in the press she uses words like "worryingly" and invented both "London Throat" vanadium poisoning instead of irritation from soot, and the acronym BAD for what everyone else calls brake dust. So yeah she wants my attention, but does she deserves it?

Honestly, no one cares about your attention, and it's really beside the point. You've completely misdescribed what the research did. Not "some microbes", human immune system cells, and they were exhibiting transient inflammatory responses and diminished anti-bacterial effectiveness, That suggests very strongly that repeated exposures to this, say like on a daily commute, could definitely lead to infection, chronic inflammation, and lots of major problems down the road. Yes, it's early days on the research, but given the pervasiveness of this stuff, I think it would be absurd not to look into it further.