Old 03-16-20, 10:15 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I feel bad because I just keep popping in here for little mini-monologues, but it's all so strange.

My wife is a teacher and they extended spring break. A LOT of people in the area are expecting that extension to last indefinitely. They have begun training/figuring out online learning. She teaches high school freshman in Algebra 1 and German (Not at the same time...) so it's a hassle, but it's doable and kids can adapt.

However, we have a precious little girl in 2nd grade. So I'm sure we, two college educated people with steady jobs and the ability to work with remote learning (Especially with her mom at home) can make this work. But there are MANY families who simply can not. For them, life is stressful enough. They are working hard just to make ends meet and the last thing they expected is to somehow keep the money coming in (and who knows how their job is affected by all this) and also sort out care for their child while maintaining some sort of educational routine.

We also have a little boy who is in a home daycare, so that's probably pretty flexible. But until we know about my SIL, we are sitting tight because the husband of the lady who watches our boy has had his share of health scares just in the past year. He would very likely be high on the list to be killed by this virus.