Old 03-22-20, 08:48 AM
biketroubadour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Interesting! Can you explain how to do this in more detail (or post a link)?
the process is fairly simple. First you need to transfer your image onto the metal plate you want to etch, using a medium that won't wash off in salt water. i stamped the plate with enamel paint in this case, but you could also cover the plate in masking tape & cut out a stenciled image, or I've heard of Laser printer toner working well too. Next, soak some cotton balls or q-tips in heavily salted water, I don't measure but it's in the neighbourhood of 1.5 tbsp salt dissolved in half cup of water. Hook up an alligator clip to the positive terminal of a 6V battery and a corner of the plate you want to etch. Hook up second alligator clip to the negative terminal and a soaked cotton ball (or near the end of a q-tip). Slowly & methodically dab cotton onto your image, for about 3-5 seconds at a time, moving around the image in overlapping dabs. Replace cotton as it gets dirty or dried out. 5 minutes of this will give you a light but well visible etch as seen in my pictures, 10 minutes a deep etch but most resist mediums will start breaking down before then.
make sure you so this outside or in a well ventilated area with no open flame, process creates small amounts of hydrogen & chlorine gas. Not fun to breath or blow up