View Single Post
Old 03-27-20, 02:51 PM
jrupe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hey all, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Look forward to hitting my 10th post so I can send share links and images.

It sounds like I should upgrade to 700c only if and when I need to. For now I'll grab some fresh tubes, a pair of Panaracer Pasela ProTites and call it a day. Out of curiosity though, Mr. 66, what brand of 700c tires did you use for you '83?

Regarding the gearing, I considered a 50/34 but decided I would rather get to 1:1. I have a newish Trek 1 Series that runs a 50/34 crank and 11-28 cassette which allows me to get up the hills in my area. So pairing the same with the Mighty-6 14-30 would offer a lower gear, but I'm not sure if this would fully compensate for the extra weight of the bike and the types of rides I would like to do. I watched the 20th L'Eroica in Gaiole a few years back and would be stoked to participate in the California event at some point. My idea is to start training on Tam, so I'm looking for mtb type gearing. I'm sure a 110/74 BCD would be ideal most of the time, but I'm hoping to have the super low range when I need it.

I'm still pretty set on the IRD Defiant. Upon closer examination it seems the difference is that the Wide version can accommodate up to an 11 speed cassette, which I definitely don't need. Am I reading into this right? If so, should I be fine with the regular Double Compact?

IRD Defiant Double Compact Crankset ($191.95)
+ Retro styled
+ CNC-machined 7075 aluminum rings
+ Cold forged 6061 T6 aluminum arms
+ JIS square taper
+ 50-34t has a 110 BCD spider
+ 46-30t has a 94 BCD spider
IRD Defiant Wide Double Compact Crankset ($201.95)
+ Retro styled crankset
+ 11 Speed + Silver + CNC-machined 7075 aluminum rings
+ Cold forged 6061 T6 aluminum arms
+ JIS square taper
+ 50-34t has a 110 BCD spider
+ 46-30t has a 94BCD spider

Last two questions, for now .

I need to replace the drops as I believe they are about 36 cm. I want to stay in the SR family and am looking at either a World Custom 42 cm or a Sakae Randnner 42 cm. I'm leaning toward the randonneur version. Any opinions here?

Lastly about the pulleys on the rear derailleur. The upper pulley is pretty dull and it won't hold the chain (was somehow still rideable before I began removing everything for cleaning). They are 10T pulleys. Would the Sunrace SP850 Rear Derailleur Replacement Pulley work?

Thanks again!
John

1982 Trek 412
Sakae Ringyo Custom Crankset, 40-52, 5 pin
Suntour BL RD-3600 (S)
Suntour Mighty-6 Freewheel, 14-16-19-23-27-30
Atom Hubs
Dia Compe Brakes
Mystery Rims (originallly Rigida)
Crappy Wheels (originally Michelin 27"x1")
Ishiwata Double Butted Chrome Molybdenum Frame
Nikko Bottom Bracket