Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your argument falls apart when you consider the types of levers used. You can’t use a long pull lever on a short pull brake because of the cable pull ratios.
Actually, I was talking about the opposite: I was pointing out why you don't use a short pull lever (canti lever) on a long pull caliper (v-brakes). And the reason for that is different.

The reason for not using a long pull lever on short pull brakes (what you mention) is there is not enough mech advantage, and you have to pull much harder to generate the same force on the pads.

The reason for not using short pull levers on long pull brakes (what I was talking about) is that you don't move the pads far enough. You either need a long lever through, or you need to set up the pads too close to the rim and will be dealing with rubbing often.

"Long pull" and "short pull" are just different ways of describing the mech advantage of the brake lever: long pull = low leverage/mech advantage, short pull = high leverage/mech advantage.

So, back to my point: I am pointing out that there is a practical limit in how much leverage/mechanical advantage you can design into rim brakes. And that is the amount of distance the pad needs to travel. To demonstrate that point, I used the example of what happens when you try to increase the mechanical advantage of rim brakes (using a short pull lever on long pull brakes). As you probably well know, it does not work well.

However, we don’t have different levers for hub mounted disc brakes...at least for mechanicals. Mountain bike disc brakes use the same levers as linear brakes and road bike discs use the same levers as short pull side pull calipers and cantilevers. No adjustment needs to be made for any differences in leverage...only cable pull.
True, but not relevant to the point I was making.

If you want to continue this., please go back to my post #26 and explain what exactly I am wrong about. I am basically stating three things:

Point 1 states that the leverage between the lever and pads is different for disc vs rim.
Point 2 explain why is is needed.
Point 3 explains why it is possible

Which one do you disagree with.... or is there some other conclusion you think I am implying?

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-12-20 at 12:45 PM.