Old 05-15-20, 08:28 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
FastJake- You better duck when those of us pass you by, what with your worn out uber fashion stuff at the side of the road (This said with some tongue in cheek and some disappointment)

When a product and manufacturer has lasted for so many decades and has developed such a stellar rep for solid and long lasting products it is sad to read your comment. Perhaps I don't recognize some humor reference "(ducks)". If so then egg is on my face. Please tell me that you are kidding about his icon of forward thinking and steady USA manufacturing. Andy
Heavy and expensive are difficult to dispute (overpriced is my own opinion). A cassette hub that weighs 500g, and costs $450?! Bomb-proof Dura Ace 7400 (or Ultegra 6400,6500,6600, etc.) weighs 350-360 grams and will outlive all of us with basic maintenance.

Junk is a strong word, but I'll say that Shimano parts have never left me on the side of the road (no uber fashion stuff here) but a Phil Wood bottom bracket did leave Jan Heine stranded when it moved sideways because the bearings aren't located with shoulders. Maybe that was a rare failure, but it's still not a good design. https://www.renehersecycles.com/bott...s-demystified/

Most of all, I just don't "get it" when it comes to Phil Wood. Heavy, expensive, other parts are readily available that work just as well... What's the point? I've heard good things about their spoke cutting machine though.
Likes For FastJake: