View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 05:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,937 Times in 2,346 Posts
Well I am Phil fan, but I'm also a shop mechanic so when I ride I don't like issues or reasons top have to fix one more bike, at home and after hours (think of it like the cobbler's kids except the cobbler can make the best pair of shoes the first time that will last far longer then the mass produced stuff).

As to Jan H's Phill BB it sounds like someone didn't do a proper install. The retaining rings are to be Locktighted in place. (as though press fit and common threaded BB's don't have their issues either???)

I do agree that Shimano does a very good job at the price points they market to, very good and on average better then most all other high volume components. Phil never considered themselves as a competitor to the OEM makers. They wanted to offer a US made part that exceeded the common stuff in durability and in function. IMO they have done a fine job in that (excepting their long discontinued disk brake, we all make mistakes. Phil has done this only once). Now when do we talk about where/which country we send our hard earned money Andy