stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by SkierSue
I have the exact same Ivory/Chocolate High Sierra, that I purchased new in 1986. Except mine has the SR Slingshot stem. I had to replace the rear derailleur after I broke mine, and a broken brake lever, but that and the seat are the only non-original parts. Oh, wait, I put Town and Country tires on this spring to make it my touring bike. I wish I could restore the original paint job, because it shows the many years I have used it. The roller cam brakes are pretty good for rim brakes, but it's hard to put up with them after riding my 2019 FS trail bike with disc brakes! Anyway, this was my first mt bike love and will also near and dear to my heart.

Put on a cheapie rear derailleur just to ride it.
You must be my good luck charm, lol. 😎 Today, I found another High Sierra, with the same paint as ours’, in a bike recycling place. It’s headset was dissected, and the paint was pretty scratched, but I bought it for $25 because it had that Slingshot stem, the Sakae FX cranks with round chainrings, in 48-38-28, and another full set of Cunningham marked roller cams, plus the Suntour XC levers. Oh, almost forgot, Suntour Mountech derailleurs, but not the super heavy rear, must be an early version. 🤔😁 No wheels or seatpost this time, but I’m cool with that. 😁😉 Pics forthcoming, once I find a place to charge my batteries around here. 🙄🤔