Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked 5,837 Times in 2,297 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

Paint:

The fork has been modified to have 69-70mm canti post spacing, so Tektros are a go up there. The fork will have to be repainted/coated. Tired paint and decals means either a repaint ($700 all in at a R&E) or a powder coat (Seattle Powder Coat charges $90 for paint stripping + $275 for a stocked color). I don't want to do a home job without a proper paint gun, mask, setup, and hard enamel clear coat. Powder coating at $365 is about $150 more than it was 3 years ago, but still a lot cheaper than paint. I've used SPC before and they do good work. Bump the price for a color match or for going with, say, Ford's Tuxedo Black (metallic), which is the same color as on my dad's Ford Expedition.
Seattle Powder Coat is expensive compared to most everywhere I've used. I can get a frame media blasted for $40 locally. $275 for a stocked color is pretty high. Locally in Portland I use CC Coatings, One color, your choice from the Prismatic or Cardinal catalog will run you $150 including media blasting. If you're talking decals and clear coat, $275 is a good price.