View Single Post
Old 07-01-20, 01:47 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyS
Total newbie here. While I've long enjoyed riding bicycles, I'm just coming to understand more about how they work and how to care for them. These forums have been a great source for info, and have convinced me that a 1980s Japanese steel touring bike would be a good value for me to purchase and clean up for my first bike project. Yesterday I paid $50 for a Shogun 1500. Shop stickers suggest that this was originally sold in Flint, Michigan, about 20 miles from where I purchased it.

With credit to T-Mar's Asian Serial Number Guide, I believe that my bike with SN N3P2214 is from and unknown Japanese manufacturer from 1983 (possibly November, from the P?). Am I on the right track?

The bike has a flat handlebar, and the seller didn't have the original handlebars or brake levers. But most of the rest of the bike appears to be original and in fairly good working order. Unfortunately, I will need make a few more posts before I can add any photos.
Some pretty reliable anecdotal evidence suggests that the source is Tano of Japan, who were perhaps best known as a Centurion supplier. There are two schools of thought on the dating, but either way it's from late 1983 and almost certainly a 1984 model.

You can upload photos to the site now. You don't have to wait. They won't attach to a post but they will be deposited in a gallery album where members can view them. Myself or another member can assist by copying them from the gallery album posting them in this thread or posting the link.