View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 05:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan
Maybe I should give a rundown of what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to build something that:
  • Can go faster than walking speed. If I can get to the nearest town (6 miles away) in less than an hour, I'm good.
  • Can support 240 lbs of All-Natural Anthrogenerated Seat Padding (in other words, me.)
  • Keep aforementioned oversized mass of Anthrogenerated Seat Padding from being beaten black and blue when the weather (or the town council being cheap--again) results in rough roads.
  • Has some cargo space (Bike carts are all nice, but good luck keeping your groceries dry in a rainstorm, and what would I do with my busking equipment?) with the possibility of adding a second seat if I wanted to give someone a ride. Should be large enough to cart my tuba around in as well. (The case is about 40 inches long) or baritone saxophone around--and keep it out of the rain.
  • Is nice to look at. I'm sorry, but I find a lot of velomobiles just plain ugly. I know they're very aerodynamic but just... urf. And honestly, having only three wheels is part of that, thus my other reason for wanting four.
For brakes, I intend to have five disk brakes--one on each wheel, and one in the center of my rear axle (my differential allows for this).

(Bike carts are all nice, but good luck keeping your groceries dry in a rainstorm, and what would I do with my busking equipment?)
what would keep you from making cover/enclosure for a trailer to protect groceries, instruments, and other items/ This is not a different problem than how do do the same if cargo is on board your velo (not sure what else you use for busking.....any videos? )

possibility of adding a second seat if I wanted to give someone a ride.
again big design variable and added complications from one person to maybe 2 one person 240 lbs, 100 cargo, 100 frame is 440 so assuming your biggest friend is 200 you for from 440 to 640 load and probably more like 660 to 700 for building a stronger frame...side by side seatoig means much wider velo or front and back is longer.

intend to have five disk brakes--one on each wheel, and one in the center of my rear axle (my differential allows for
what is the plan for ensuring braking consistency.both right and left and or fore and aft...Hydraulic? I know there are levers that allow 2 cabled brakes to be pulled by a single lever but have no idea if that is possible with hydraulic