3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Way to go. I go similar to Randy... that little stub out the back I just grind down so it can't interfere. Then patience and solvent/lubricating fluids, and tap, tap, tap... on outside of drop out, if theres corrosion. I think it helps oosen everthing.
Are you getting new decals? Your paint looks nice, better than mine.
Goog luck! Eric

Decided on the build yet? I keep going back and forth.... As it came to me except for modernisms, which are already long gone...Has TA cranks and Universal centerpulls now or do I step it up to a cleaner NR group... Such problems....
...I ordered what H Lloyd is selling on their website yesterday for top and down tubes, and a couple of those seat tube bands for good measure. It's not like the original painted bands with lettering slides, but I'm planning on repairing all the paint owwies, and then I'll probably bury everything under urethane clear. So it ought to work out OK. It came with a mix of Suntour (brakes, levers, derailleurs), but still had the original Campy post, headset, and New Record crank. I have about four or five New Record front derailleurs hanging around not doing anything, so I might go mostly Campy, but keep the Suntour Superbe brakes (Campy copies, as far as I can tell).

The original hubs were long gone, with some kind of generic Shimano machine built wheel set. I have hubs that will fit, so probably a wheel project over the winter before it's finished. I have wheels I can stick on there in the meantime, if I get it painted and put back together.

The guy I bought it from has had it for a while, and said it was a dump find (by a friend of his) down near a military base not too far from Modesto.

There were a lot of nice bikes brought back during the Air Force flying days in the Central Valley. I guess this might be one of those.