cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 4,421 Times in 2,098 Posts
Originally Posted by Petersrock
Thanks Kurt, I appreciate it, Ive got lots of questions but Im really trying to lern as much as I can and do this project the right way. Im assuming you are talking bout washers for the spacers? Is there a particular measurement Im aiming for with regard to the spacing? Do I want the spacing to be even on each side or do I want it to be offset a bit toward the drive side to create a straighter line between the single speed freewheel and the front chainring? With regard to the single speed freewheel, is there anything I should be looking for in terms of fit or should a Schwinn single speed freewheel work ok?
Not as much washers for the existing left-side (ex-right side) spacer, but two slightly narrower spacers (which act, coincidentally, as washers) which you can divvy between the left and right sides of the hub to even it out.

You could have a bit more axle on the left side - and you probably will to get the chainline reasonably close - but you don't necessarily want to overdo it either. Supposedly, the Varsity is spaced at 126mm. Ideally, it'd be nice if you could bring it down to 120 so you wouldn't have so much axle to deal with, but re-spacing the rear triangle is best done only if you have both a frame and dropout alignment tool (video of RJ The Bike Guy's generic alignment tool for both the frame and hub below). Plus, it may be difficult to bend the rear triangle of the Varsity without a bit of leverage.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is the width of the singlespeed freewheel itself. No need to go for a Schwinn part, any modern BMX freewheel with recesses for a four-prong remover will do the job well.

-Kurt