Thread: hand signals...
View Single Post
Old 08-18-20, 07:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
My left arm goes up out of habit, but I think pointing in the direction of the turn may work better these days.
...I returned to this thread this morning and I thought about 2nd to last turn before arriving at my office. There's a long right-hand turn lane, and when they re-striped the road three years ago they put the turn lane against the curb and moved the bike lane to the left of it (as seems to be the current strategy to help prevent right-hooks).

Anyway, I realized I have been using my right arm and pointing to the right...at least in this case, and probably more, if I were to pay attention.

I think the reason is that, in addition to checking my mirrors I turn my head and torso to physically look behind to my right, and pointing with my right arm seems more natural in association with that movement. Besides, signalling with the left arm and twisting right, puts the left arm in front and hides it from view to anyone behind.

For the 25 years previous when there was no bike lane, and then one against the curb, I had no reason to look behind to my right and raised my left arm to signal right.

I will stand by my original thought that it is probably better to signal with the right arm and point in the direction of the turn, but some situation may be better served by one aem over the other.

One last thing...when it rains and I'm wearing my rain cape and it's windy, I need to keep a grip on the cape's hand-holds and keep my hands on the handlebars. In that case I will use my legs to signal, but always kicking out my left leg for a left turn and kicking right for a right turn, as I am not limber enough to signal a right turn with my left leg.

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-19-20 at 06:17 AM.