View Single Post
Old 09-01-20, 02:27 PM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
One of my most trusted tools is that Giustaforza I showed in a post above. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every penny. I know it will always torque to the correct setting.
Cheap tools cost more in the long-run.
-
Untrue in reality, only in Utopia. See here:
The problem is that torque is a lousy method of preloading components. Did you know that approximately 90% of the torque required to makeup a fastener is consumed by friction? So, this means that slight variations in frictional conditions may lead to dramatic changes in bolt preload. I’m not making this up, I found this at the following address: www.boltscience.com/pages/tighten.htm
Another says:
Anyway, I'm tightening a bolt on my seat post (manufacturer spec is 9 Nm) and my beam wrench barely reads any torque (maybe 0.5 Nm) and I feel like I've tightened the bolt at least 2 full rotations. It feels like the bolt head is starting to strip a little but I still haven't reached any relative torque (according to the beam wrench).

I start thinking about how I'm not registering much torque on the wrench, even though I know i'm putting a lot into it. I realize that I grease pretty much every bolt on my bike (finish line teflon grease), this is probably affecting every torque value on every bolt. I've heard that friction accounts for about 85%-90% of the torque value on a bolt, so adding grease to a bolt probably affects the proper torque spec by a ton.