View Single Post
Old 02-13-06, 03:27 PM
Singlespeedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperZ

Maybe it has, however these "Significant Changes" don't amount to alot in the real world, maybe a pound or so in weight.

I disagree with both points, still. I htink that over the past 17 years, changes that amount o a lot have occurred in bicycles. Most of which are noticeable to the recreational cyclist. And weight costs a lot to lose, and a lot to engineer the loss of. And it is a sliding scale. A pound off of a 23 lb road bike costs much less than a pound off of a 17 pound road bike.

OK, Middle level market, if you can call it that.... ~$2,500usd?
That is pretty high market, if you ask me, for a wheelset. Again, I completely agree with you that the upper end of the market, is overpriced, partly due to demand, and partly due to economies of scale. What I am pursuing you on is the claim that "ANybody that spends more that $2000 on a BICYCLE is a Sucker" And also the claim that "Bicycles and bicyle components are way over priced for the amount of material and work that goes into manufacturing them." And I'm not using you as a whipping boy. The way I see it, Bike Forums is a...forum. And the word forum means (to me) an open discussion, not a one way discussion. And since I'm the guy at teh bike shop that people will come to and say "I read on the internet that no bikes are worth more than $2K, I think it is only fair that you shed some light on your position here.

It's clear NOW you are plying your position from a sellers stand point, so really what would you like me to submit to you? Please take my money, because that $5000 bike is such a screaming deal, I should take 2?

What is wrong about having a selller's standpoint? We do operate in a market economy, and until you decide that you don't want to be a part of it and you are going to make your own bikes, it's the system we are stuck with.