Old 10-12-20, 10:42 AM
natto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a good question. That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around in presenting my "tome": what is reasonable (and legally permissible) to expect from the manufacturer both in terms of cost and safety?

First, I'm asking here because I'm trying to get a feel from the community of cyclists whether it's reasonable to expect failure of BOTH carbon wheels within 3 years of normal wear and tear on the roads?. And/or is it genuinely unsafe to ride a Giant SLR 1 wheel after the warranty period of one or two years runs out?

I'm actually pretty scared now given that I regularly reach speeds of 40mph on those wheels. Even at an average speed of 18mph, failure of the wheels while out on the roads could cause catastrophic injuries. I ride in a paceline regularly -- usually twice at week at average speeds of over 20mph. Am I putting those guys at risk by riding defective wheels? And given that I'm on the lighter side for a cyclist at 132 pounds, does that mean that heavier cyclists (most cyclist's) wheels are going to routinely fail prior to reaching the 11,500/ 2 yr 8 month mark I had reached?

Second, because I paid a lot of money for the bike/wheels both with the original bike purchase and in August this year when I paid for replacement wheels, is it just a cost I have to eat? Or is it reasonable to assume that those original wheels were defective? If so, can I legitimately ask for a replacement even though it is out of warranty period?

Finally, I want to get the word out and find out if I'm the only one. And if others also ride on recently manufactured Giant SLR 1 wheels, are they actually safe or not? I have found other threads where cyclists are complaining that their recently manufactured SLR wheels have failed for no apparent reason. I find it really concerning.

I really am asking questions hoping to get some real answers.

Thanks