Old 01-02-21, 10:13 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
That's a nice looking bike! Extra points for the cable housing colors (I'm a sucker for that stuff).

I got my vintage jerseys back in the early days of ebay, when things seemed to be either cheaper or easier to find. It's been a while since I've looked, so maybe there is still enough available? I think I paid $40 or so for most of them. My guess is that there's not a lot of skinny guys who still want the stuff.
There are modern reproductions, such as this TI-Raleigh/McGregor jersey from Steel Vintage Bikes. It's more expensive, 130 Euros, but that's not out of line for a lot of modern wool jerseys....
https://steel-vintage.com/ti-raleigh-merino-wool-jersey

It does look like a fairly good copy of a vintage one that I've got....

There were some reproductions of early lycra jerseys too. I thought I had seen someone selling a similar one, but can't dig it up right now. This one was purchased 15(?) years ago, and it's the one I wear most often. The wool blend jerseys are just too much for me when it is 80F or warmer.

Personally... I'm intrigued at the differences between the old wool or wool blend jerseys and the modern merino jerseys. The old jerseys were itchy, like The Creator intended wool to be, but it wears pretty well. The wool/poly blend jerseys are slightly less itchy and less likely to be ravished by moths, and I think these are my favorites. I haven't owned the modern merino jerseys, but I hear they are more comfortable, and perhaps are more fragile?? Maybe someone can comment on this?

Anyway... vintage jerseys are fun, especially the authentic ones. Like the Eroica rides, they remind us of what life was like back then, itchy jerseys and all.

Steve in Peoria
I've got some "modern" merino wool pieces I bought around 10 years ago. The only issue is the Minus 33 baselayer has a couple of small holes in it that I think are wear from the HR Strap. Everything else is as new. I wear this stuff a lot too. Can't stand old wool but the merino stuff is great.